Monday, June 4, 2012

What to Do If You Are Aware of Child Abuse

First lets define child abuse:

The child welfare information gateway defines it as such:
Physical abuse is nonaccidental physical injury (ranging from minor bruises to severe fractures or death) as a result of punching, beating, kicking, biting, shaking, throwing, stabbing, choking, hitting (with a hand, stick, strap, or other object), burning, or otherwise harming a child, that is inflicted by a parent, caregiver, or other person who has responsibility for the child.2 Such injury is considered abuse regardless of whether the caregiver intended to hurt the child. Physical discipline, such as spanking or paddling, is not considered abuse as long as it is reasonable and causes no bodily injury to the child. 
Neglect is the failure of a parent, guardian, or other caregiver to provide for a child's basic needs. Neglect may be:
  • Physical (e.g., failure to provide necessary food or shelter, or lack of appropriate supervision)
  • Medical (e.g., failure to provide necessary medical or mental health treatment)3
  • Educational (e.g., failure to educate a child or attend to special education needs)
  • Emotional (e.g., inattention to a child's emotional needs, failure to provide psychological care, or permitting the child to use alcohol or other drugs)
These situations do not always mean a child is neglected. Sometimes cultural values, the standards of care in the community, and poverty may be contributing factors, indicating the family is in need of information or assistance. When a family fails to use information and resources, and the child's health or safety is at risk, then child welfare intervention may be required. In addition, many States provide an exception to the definition of neglect for parents who choose not to seek medical care for their children due to religious beliefs that may prohibit medical intervention.4 
Sexual abuse includes activities by a parent or caregiver such as fondling a child's genitals, penetration, incest, rape, sodomy, indecent exposure, and exploitation through prostitution or the production of pornographic materials.Sexual abuse is defined by CAPTA as "the employment, use, persuasion, inducement, enticement, or coercion of any child to engage in, or assist any other person to engage in, any sexually explicit conduct or simulation of such conduct for the purpose of producing a visual depiction of such conduct; or the rape, and in cases of caretaker or inter-familial relationships, statutory rape, molestation, prostitution, or other form of sexual exploitation of children, or incest with children." 
Emotional abuse (or psychological abuse) is a pattern of behavior that impairs a child's emotional development or sense of self-worth. This may include constant criticism, threats, or rejection, as well as withholding love, support, or guidance. Emotional abuse is often difficult to prove and, therefore, child protective services may not be able to intervene without evidence of harm or mental injury to the child. Emotional abuse is almost always present when other forms are identified. 
Abandonment is now defined in many States as a form of neglect. In general, a child is considered to be abandoned when the parent's identity or whereabouts are unknown, the child has been left alone in circumstances where the child suffers serious harm, or the parent has failed to maintain contact with the child or provide reasonable support for a specified period of time. 
Substance abuse is an element of the definition of child abuse or neglect in many States.5 Circumstances that are considered abuse or neglect in some States include:
  • Prenatal exposure of a child to harm due to the mother's use of an illegal drug or other substance
  • Manufacture of methamphetamine in the presence of a child
  • Selling, distributing, or giving illegal drugs or alcohol to a child
  • Use of a controlled substance by a caregiver that impairs the caregiver's ability to adequately care for the child 

What to do if abuse is happening:

Now if this is happening to someone you know you must call child protective services. Each county has their own child protective services (this may vary in outside of the USA). Call the county that the child is being abused in. 

You will need to know:
  • The age of the child
  • The first and last name
  • The first and last name of the child’s abuser
  • The address of the child
  • What school the child goes to
  • Phone number of child’s parents
  • Date of abusive events

If you do not have all of this information, still call. Give them what you do know.  Also note that it is confidential when you report. No one will share who reported the abuse.

For my local readers, here is the contact info for child protective services in our local counties.

Outagamie County
Office Hours: 920-832-5161
After Hours: 920-832-4646

Calumet County
Office Hours: 920-849-1400
Office Hours Crisis: 920-849-9317
After Hours Crisis Lines: 920-849-9317 or 920-832-4646

Winnebago County
(920) 727-2882
(920) 729-2750

Waupaca County
Office Hours: 715-258-6300
After Hours: 715-258-4466

Shawano County
Office Hours: 715-526-4700
After Hours: 715-526-3111

To get more cps county info go to:

If you suspect child abuse please do not look the other way. Call child protective services. Many people do not know what to do so they do not call. Share this article so not knowing what to do is never an excuse to allow child abuse to continue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New CEU now ready!!

  Objectives:  Participants will gain an understanding of common comorbid diagnoses associated with Autism (ADHD, Depression, and ODD).  Par...